The GO Public Schools Oakland Communications and Events Manager will bring a commitment to advancing educational justice and democratic participation. He or she will advance the GO mission to unite and support a community of students, families, educators and allies committed to working together to generate solutions that ensure every Oakland student thrives. Since our launch in 2009, GO Public Schools Oakland has helped families, educators and community members advocate for excellence and equity for all students by informing and empowering them about district and school policies and practices.
Through our grassroots organizing for parents in district schools, GO Public Schools Oakland engages a network of family advocates who are demanding for improvements in schools across Oakland. Similarly, GO Oakland engages a network of educator advocates to learn about and improve conditions for student and teacher success, such as through our Teacher Policy Fellowship. And through the political advocacy arm of GO Public Schools Oakland Advocates, the affiliate has played a key role in elevating the work of the school board, bringing community members together to elect school board leaders committed to advocating for all students, and helping to pass measures to provide needed services and funds to schools.
As an advocacy organization that seeks to empower and involve the community, GO places its communications work at a premium, and seeks a deeply passionate and committed professional for this important role. This person will manage and produce communications and events that inform, motivate action, and tell our network’s story. This person will work closely with media and press to generate stories on a regular basis, as well as produce events and experiences to bring our network together to advocate for an excellent education for all students.
This position is available immediately. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Communications Strategy and Management: Work across the Oakland team and with guidance from the GO California state-level team to support and execute communications strategies for campaigns and programs, including press, events, social media, website, blogs and newsletters.
- Help develop and manage a comprehensive communications calendar, including key messaging and tactics
- Manage projects, timelines, and day-to-day calendars to ensure projects are well executed and stakeholder needs are met consistently
- Media: Build and maintain strong relationships with reporters, and the GO network to successfully generate stories on a regular basis, telling the story of the people, role, and impact of GO, while also helping to advance our work and campaigns
- Secure presence and manage reporter inquiries in mainstream and niche media by developing relationships with reporters, pitching and creating press releases and statements
- Interact with people involved in our work, seek out their stories, and find opportunities to share. Work with members of the GO network to produce op-eds, letters to the editor, and other communications.
- Produce and manage marketing collateral to tell our story and impact
- Track regional education press coverage and share with team
- Events: Help design and manage the execution of GO events to bring community together for students
- Manage events and experiences that bring together the community, motivate action, drive brand awareness, and tell the GO story and our impact. Successful events will engage our current network, build our network, and support fundraising campaigns and community outreach.
- Alongside the communications calendar, manage and publish master event calendar that combines GO events and external events, ensuring that each event supports the goals of the organization
- Coordinate all aspects of event fulfillment for GO events, including: marketing and outreach, invitations, event collateral, programming and speakers, and ongoing correspondence
- Develop and manage a GO Oakland presence at key external events. Work closely with the team to lead proactive and reactive PR campaigns, source speaking opportunities, and prep spokespeople.
- Passion for GO’s mission and a demonstrated commitment to related issue areas
- At least 4 years of experience in marketing, communications, public relations, media relations, social media and/or journalism
- Prior experience supporting comprehensive communications programs that establish clear goals and measurable results, including a thorough understanding of strategic communications planning, branding, advocacy, and media relations
- Ability to write clearly, persuasively, and effectively in a variety of written and electronic formats, in addition to flawless proofreading and editing skills
- Ability to develop original content about stories of people, programs, and communities; interviewing, writing, editing, and publishing stories in print, web, video, etc.
- Experience developing media strategies and pitching reporters that result in targeted coverage of the organization
- Keen understanding of brand management
- High attention to detail and strong organization skills, including timeliness and accuracy
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and handle unanticipated demands and requests.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative style and ability to engage others
- Regional press, education, and political experience is ideal
Email a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to Abby Gillespie, Oakland Director of Strategy and Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is open and posted until filled.
Benefits and Salary
The salary range for this role is $65,728 – $75,000. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is offered, including:
- Healthcare (health, vision, and dental) provided at 100% for employees and 75% for dependents
- Healthcare plan options – choose between an Anthem PPO or Kaiser HMO
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Account (DCA)
- 2 weeks of observed holidays annually
- 2 – 3 weeks of paid time off (grows with years of experience at GO)
- 2 additional weeks of time off during the winter break
- 6 weeks of 40% pay for all new parents (to supplement State of California Paid Family Leave and/or Disability benefits)
- Simple IRA retirement plan with up to 3% annual salary match
- Paid life and long-term-disability policy
- Up to $75/month in cell phone reimbursement
- Paid professional development opportunities
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
GO Public Schools seeks individuals of all racial and ethnic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to ensuring diversity within our organization and network, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.