For more, click here for the full agenda.
Note: If this meeting is “willfully interrupted, the Board may move to the Committee Room as soon as practicable and resume the meeting. If the Board moves to the Committee Room, it will allow public comment–as necessary and if feasible–from the Great Room.”
On June 26, 2019, the Board approved Resolution 1819-0219 – Confirming Oakland Unified School District’s Commitment to Fiscal Solvency – Fiscal Years 2020-2021 and 2021-22, which was a response to concerns raised by the Board and by the Alameda County Office of Education.
The resolution states that the District must identify a plan for reductions or revenue increases of $10M for the 2020-21 school year and $10.5M for the 2021-22 school year to ensure they are able to fulfill their employee compensation contract negotiation with OEA and SEUI, while maintaining a 3% reserve.
Tonight, the District is seeking approval to identify that plan on or before December 31, 2019, instead of October 15, 2019, as listed in the resolution. Click here to watch a short video explaining the District’s reserve budget.
The District has committed to sharing regular Budget updates as it’s being further developed and revised throughout the school year. The 1st interim report will be presented in December, but in the meantime, they will be presenting a few minor changes identified to their $571M budget, such as:
- A one-time $4M revenue increase from the Special Education Early Intervention Preschool Grant. They plan on using these funds to offset the contribution to their special education programs.
- An $8.8M expenditure increase from supplemental and concentration resources, which are funds allocated for low-income students, English Learners, and foster youth.
The following district-approved charter schools up for renewal this fall will have the opportunity to submit all requests for new charter petitions, major amendments, material revisions, renewals, and conversions at tonight’s meeting:
- Oakland School of the Arts (OSA)
- North Oakland Community Charter School (NOCCS)
- Lighthouse Community Charter High School
- Francophone Charter School of Oakland
- Roses in Concrete
- Aspire Berkley Maynard Academy
- Conservatory Of Vocal And Instrumental Arts High School (COVA)
Note: The Board Meeting Yearlong Agenda is no longer accurate given the adjustments made as a result of disruptions at the recent board meetings. We hope the district helps to keep the community informed by updating and re-releasing a revised agenda.